Saturday, March 26, 2011

Strawberries

A few days ago, the boys and I went strawberry picking with some friends at a nearby farm.  It was a beautiful sunny day, the children were cheerful, and the berries were abundant.  Within a few minutes we had filled our bucket, and I had to go back to the barn for another one.

We came home with two of these...

...a closeup for you.  Aren't they pretty?  It's hard not to feel warm and happy when looking at strawberries...

...and the next morning I made jam.
(I used 25% whole wheat flour)
...and, of course, some butter

When Jesh and I were young, we had a summer job picking strawberries.  We weren't picking berries in March, of course--in chilly Michigan, the berries didn't ripen until school was out.  We worked every morning from eight to noon, and earned 25 cents per quart picked--enough to make an eleven- or twelve-year old feel pretty well off. :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Strawberries in March is pretty early. Definitely doesn't happen over here - although I planted strawberries with my class in a planter on the windowsill and we've got some flowers out already so hopefully won't be too long before the kids get their first taste :-)

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments will be permitted so long as you identify yourself in some way. Thanks!