Saturday, November 15, 2008

My latest plarn creation


A few months ago I wrote that I was crocheting a reusable bag out of plastic grocery bags, made into plastic yarn, also known as "plarn." Well, I finished that one ages ago and have been using it on a regular basis. Here's another one I just made. As you can see, this is a large bag, rather larger than I had intended, in fact. I am very proud of this one because I came up with a top-secret method to brace the bottom so that it stays square (involves a wire coat hanger--*shhh* don't tell anyone). I also applied my fabulous design skills to come up with an extra-strong reinforcing stitch for the bottom and handles.

This reusable bag was created from over 100 plastic grocery bags. I didn't accumulate them all myself--they were passed on to me by lots of generous people. One nice lady that I barely know dropped two huge black trash bags crammed full of plastic bags on my porch. And other people were quite generous with their plastic bags as well. In fact, I quite quickly reached the point where I had to turn down plastic bag offers. *confession* I have an entire closet full of plastic bags in my basement. I know, crazy, huh? I need to get going and crank out some more of these nifty reusable bags.

I haven't decided if I will keep this one (probably not), or if I will try to sell it (probably). Etsy, here I come! How much do you think I should charge for it? $100? $200? Just kidding.

Yikes, it's bedtime!

I was googling plarn bags for inspiration, and wondered if adding the word "plarn" to this post would cause it to turn up in a search. So plarn plarn plarnity-plarn.

ETA: If you think crocheting with plastic bags is weird, you should see what else I was crocheting with this week (hint: something else recycled). Photos to come as soon as I get my hands on a camera again.


3 comments:

  1. I think that is amazing! You are very talented.

    Love
    H

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, wish I knew how to crochet plastic bags haha! I can't crochet. Your mama taught you well I'm assuming! :)

    BTW, how long did it take you to do one of them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Mom taught me to crochet when I was seven or eight. I still have the first blanket I made--it's quite ugly. :)

    I think it probably took me quite a while to make this bag, but it's hard to say because I did five minutes here, ten minutes there, etc. so it took me a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments will be permitted so long as you identify yourself in some way. Thanks!