Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Snow Day


Today is a snow day for me. Indiana University is closed for the day, which is highly unusual; and of course all the local middle and high schools are closed as well, which means that all of the parents of the girls I watch are off work for the day; therefore I have an unexpected day off as well.

The above picture is the view out my front door. Looks like most of my neighbors are staying in for the day.

And here's my own car. I don't think I'll be going anywhere any time soon. :)
The only thing that bothers me about being snowed in is the fact that I really need to make a trip to the library. I have overdue books to return, and I need to check out another book to read for a book club this Saturday. But the library is closed due to the weather, so there's no point in shoveling the snow off my car and attempting the short drive.

Yesterday evening I went for a walk in the snow and sleet. The sleet accumulated on my glasses but I was well bundled up and quite enjoyed my tromp through the snow. I went 1.3611 miles (thank you Gmaps Pedometer) and listened to the hush that falling snow creates. The roads were slick--even the snowplows were moving in slow motion--but the sidewalks had all been shoveled recently enough that my non-booted feet stayed dry.

For my southern readers who may be assuming that all Midwestern winters are like this--well, they're not; here in southern Indiana, we only get a snowfall like this once every couple of years. Usually we don't get more than a couple of inches of snow, and it's often melted within two or three days.

All righty, better go be productive.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a lot of snow!!!

    Does your library have an online service where you can renew your books online? Our local library has one, and though I haven't used it I can imagine it would be quite convenient. ...Not that I have to worry about snow-days preventing me from returning my books on time. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can renew my books online as long as I remember to do it before they're due. After the due date, I have to go in and pay my fines before I can renew anything. :)

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments will be permitted so long as you identify yourself in some way. Thanks!