Friday, June 18, 2010

The Crepe Myrtle is Blooming

It's June in Houston, and crepe myrtle is blooming all over the place.  Isn't it pretty?

We didn't have crepe myrtle in Indiana, at least not that I'm aware of; but it seems to be the landscaping tree of choice in the Houston area.  It comes in all shades of white, pink, and purple.

These were some kind of rambly crepe myrtle trees that we found by the zoo.

I'm not sure if they are technically a tree or a shrub, but they are usually pruned to look like this.  (I found this last picture online--click for the source)

You know, I was aware that crepe was a type of fabric, but it wasn't until I looked closely at the crinkly little blossoms of the crepe myrtle tree that I realized which type of fabric it was.  And then I had an "aha" moment as I realized the meaning of the word "crepey" as used in books to describe an old person's skin.  I guess I always thought that the author had misspelled the word "creepy."  LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments will be permitted so long as you identify yourself in some way. Thanks!