Wednesday, July 14, 2010

One of Those Days

I'm short on sleep today, and having trouble staying awake.  I think it's time for the 20 Minute Coffee Break Mug.  This cup holds a lot of coffee.
 
This cup was my grandfather's.  I think it was a gift from his coworkers.  He drank his coffee from this cup every day.  I remember how the spoon would clink against the sides of the cup as he vigorously stirred in the creamer and sugar.  Towards the end of his life, Grandpa got forgetful.  After he had been stirring for a minute, he would forget that he had already put the sugar in, and he would add more.  Mom used to worry that he was getting too much sugar.

This is my Grandpa in 1944.  He was in the military.
And just for fun, here is my grandmother in 1948.  Wasn't she pretty? 

6 comments:

  1. Nice pictures! Seem to recall a story that Grandpa was underweight according to military requirements, so the military offical wrote down Grandpa's height as two inches shorter than it really was, so he could get him in.

    Do you remember this story or am I confusing him with someone else?

    Caleb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures! Thanks for sharing with us. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caleb, I do seem to recall that something got fudged in order for Grandpa to qualify, but I don't remember the details. We should ask Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is crazy, but I think I remember hearing that story. Your mom looks like her mom!
    Hayley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That looks like Ben :) I like the cup and your grandma IS pretty, just like your mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was just going to say how much your mom looks like your grandma. :)

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments will be permitted so long as you identify yourself in some way. Thanks!